Showing kindness to animals
In Islam, we are not allowed to show harshness to animals, or treat them in a evil manner. In fact, a women will enter Hell because of a cat which she tied up and did not feed, nor did she set it free. A prostitute woman saw a dog near death because of thirst and she took off her shoe and gave water to the dog. Allah forgave her for that good deed.
One should respect all living life, treat them with care. If an animal is under your responsibility such as a pet, you are required feed it and take care of it.
- The Prophet of Allah  said "Fear Allah in your treatment of animals."
[Abu Dawud, Kitab Jihad]
- Narrated Abu Huraira : The Prophet  said, “A man felt very thirsty while he was on the way, there he came across a well. He went down the well, quenched his thirst and came out. Meanwhile he saw a dog panting and licking mud because of excessive thirst. He said to himself, “This dog is suffering from thirst as I did.” So, he went down the well again and filled his shoe with water and watered it. Allah thanked him for that deed and forgave him." The people said, “O Allah’s Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving the animals?” He replied: “Yes, there is a reward for serving any animate (living being).”
[Bukhari, Book #43, Hadith #646]
- Narrated Abu Huraira : The Prophet  said, “While a dog was going round a well and was about to die of thirst, an Israeli prostitute saw it and took off her shoe and watered it. So Allah forgave her because of that good deed.”
[Bukhari, Book #56, Hadith #673]
- It was narrated from Ibn 'Umar  that the Prophet  said: “A woman entered Hell because of a cat which she tied up and did not feed, nor did she allow it to eat of the vermin of the earth.”
[Bukhaari 3140, Muslim 2242]
- Ibn ‘Umar  said "The Prophet forbade beating (animals) on the face."
[Bukhari, Book #67, Hadith #449]
- It was narrated from Ibn ‘Umar  that he entered upon Yahyaa ibn Sa’eed and one of Yahyaa’s sons had tied up a hen and was shooting at it. Ibn ‘Umar walked over to him and untied it, then he brought it and the boy and said, “Do not allow your boys to tie up birds in order to kill them, for I heard the Messenger of Allaah  forbidding the tying up of animals or other creatures in order to kill them.”
[Bukhaari, 5195; Muslim, 1958]
- The Messenger of Allaah  cursed those who tied up animals in order to harm them.